- Youth Education
- Gardening Education
- Hunger Relief
- Fresh Food Access
Beacon Place is a neighborhood community center in Waukegan with programs for children and families that focus on academic growth, improved health, and building the skills that allow individuals and families to see their own path to a brighter tomorrow.
- Summer Lunch Bunch: Provide lunch, with assistance from the Northern Illinois Food Bank, and day camp activities for children ages 4-18 who rely on a subsidized meal during regular school year.
- Backpack Program: Each Thursday during the summer, every child leaves with a backpack of food including enough food for six meals on the weekend including whole fresh fruits and vegetables. At the end of the summer, the child receives a backpack to keep, filled with supplies to start the school year.
- Kids Garden Program: A summer-long program designed to engage children in learning about nutrition, gardening, leadership, respect, and responsibility.
- Tweens and Teens Program: This program focuses on building self-esteem, overall health, leadership, responsibility, and community.
- Beacon Place Tutoring Program: A curriculum-based remediation and enrichment program for students with support provided in math, reading, writing, STEM, art, and computer coding.
- Parent Programs: We work to support parents and caregivers with programs including ESL, health and nutrition, exercise and yoga, parenting support, civic responsibility, and community engagement. Liberty Prairie Foundation offers fresh, organic vegetables weekly during the summer that our parents are able to purchase at subsidized prices.
We would welcome more help with our efforts to provide resources to the community for healthy food and nutrition education. We also welcome helping in working to provide technology education to our parents and also to help them acquire internet connectivity in their homes.
Volunteers are welcome to help with any program. Please visit our website at www.beacon-place.org and click on the “Volunteer” button at the top right of the page.
Contact information:Barbara LaFasto, Executive Director
603 S. McAlister Ave.
Waukegan, IL, 60085